Saturday, March 1, 2008

What a week and more!!

Well, maternity leave ended for me on the 25th of this month so on Monday it was back to work. That felt very strange. As many of you know, I stayed home with Josh for 5 years before working. I had never experienced having to leave my child in the hands of someone else for so long at such a young age. Heartbreaking. I started crying Saturday, continued on Sunday, and of course on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday. I think Thursday was the first day I didn't cry but it still feels strange walking out of there without my baby. He is the 2nd youngest(7 weeks) in there. Most of the babies in there are crawling and getting ready to start walking. I know they hold him a lot when I am not there and he is in great hands. They document everything, the communication is great, and there are 3 people in there for about 7-8 kids. Not a bad ratio. Anyway, he seems to have adjusted well. He's finally starting to sleep longer than 20 minutes at a time there. The only draw back.... He already has a cold! Not that I didn't think he wouldn't get sick, but it's scary when they are so little. I'm actually not sure if he got the cold from school or from Josh. Josh has had a very stopped up nose this week and a cough so it's very possible he got it from his big brother. I know how quickly it can turn from a cold to worse so we'll be sure this weekend that he gets plenty of sleep and TLC and no contact with anyone other than us. He also has a rash on both of his cheeks that he started getting at about 6 weeks, but the Dr. thinks it's just the hormone rash that some babies get.

Josh is doing great. I think he's ready for Spring Break. He's getting so tall and so witty. You can tell when he speaks that he gets his sarcasm from his mom and dad. For instance, this morning Josh was being very demanding and practically giving orders right and left to us. He had us running around like crazy until I realized that, "Hey, who does this 7 year old think he is?" So we had a little discussion about who's in charge, how we need to ask when we want something and not demand it, yell it, or order it from someone. As I was leaving the room after this discussion, here's how our next discussion went.

Josh: "Can you push play on the DVD player?"
Mommy: "Sure... Is there anything else I can get for you, Your Majesty?"
Josh: "No, but I would like a massage!" (Then of course he laughs)

Now, I'm not sure exactly where he came up with that line, but it had Brent and I practically rolling on the floor and also in a state of disbelief about how sarcastic he really is. But like I said, it's not like we don't know where he gets it from, but I can already imagine the phone calls from teachers at school as he gets older!

I think our schedules are finally getting back to normal with just a couple of things added here and there. Josh has started baseball now and has practice on Mondays and Wednesdays from 5-7 so when I get off, it's run to get Josh, then Jacob, then turn around and run to the ballfield, wait for Brent to get there and then turn around and take Jacob home and try to get dinner started. Then they come home after practice, try to eat, get homework, and to bed in a decent hour. The other days are a little less stressful but nonetheless it is an adventure now with 2 instead of 1 but I love it and wouldn't trade it for anything!

So, for those wondering how my first week back at work went....

There is definitely something in the air making the kids go crazy. I guess you could call it Spring Fever. I will admit that I am pretty strict with my kids at school, I expect alot from them not only academically, but also when it comes to responsibility and manners. I guess you could say they forgot about these things while I was on leave so it's been a week of re-establishing who's in charge and finding their manners again. I made 3 phone calls home, took up 2 Nintendo DS's, caught a kid lying to my face, dealt with some attitude adjustments, had a parent teacher conference, and was called a "**tch that trys to act black." (for that one I wrote a referral!) I also came back to find out that my window for my teaching observation starts next week and ends on the 15th. So all in all, an interesting week back to say the least and of course, it's business as usual!!

2 comments:

Brandy said...

Aww....I'm so sorry it's tough to leave little Jacob. Hopefully things will start to smooth out soon. So, do you think I'm in trouble if Brooke already is sarcastic and bossy? (she's only about to be 3) YIKES!

Wanda said...

WOW! Is this what I get to do this coming Monday? I am already losing more sleep over the dread of returning to work.
Oh Yeah, about that whole sarcasm thing. Cullen is just like his Mom and Dad. He doesn't miss a beat either. See you Monday.